Welcome to our blog!

The Fund for Transforming Education in Kentucky (The Fund) inspires and scales innovation and excellence in Kentucky’s public schools, resulting in a better future for all of our children. Here on our blog, we share about our work in a more in depth manner. Blog posts are written by staff members, teachers we work with, board members and others.

The Fund believes in unlocking the unique potential of every student by spreading innovative ideas, shining a spotlight on transforming teacher leadership, and driving sustainable change that will increase academic achievement for all students in Kentucky’s public education system.

Thank you for your consideration and visiting our blog. If you share in our vision of an innovative education culture, we welcome the opportunity to partner with you. Please visit our website at www.thefundky.org for more information.

Barbara Bellissimo
CEO

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kentucky Connected Educator Month Day 3

Pam Rowland

7th grade Social Studies Teacher

Rowan County


In what way(s) are you a connected educator?

 

I am a connected educator because I am a lifelong learner. I choose to be connected to other  professionals through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Skype and many more platforms. The possibilities for PLC's are endless with technology. Being connected is an essential component of my career.

How does being connected impact your practice?

The past 3 years have been transformational for me as a classroom teacher. In 2011, I attended ISTE in Philadelphia. Being able to connect with other educators and follow-up with Twitter  was mind- boggling for me. This summer,  I was unable to attend ISTE and I joined a Twitter community #notatiste. I could not believe the valuable PD I gained simply from #notatiste. I also follow various ed tech #'s on Twitter and follow many educators on Facebook. Through Facebook, I connected with an Egyptologist and my class was able to Skype with her numerous times. It is simply amazing! My kids have connected with NASA, Yosemite National Park, Mystery Skypes, Serbia, London, etc. We are currently working on an Instagram /Skype Project with other schools in the world focusing on culture.


How does being connected impact you as an educator? 

The impact for me as a professional has been remarkable. I am able to gain so much more knowledge with 21st century platforms and all from the comforts of my home. The traditional PD has been debunked. I no longer feel isolated in my classroom. The world awaits you. I now connect with parents, students, and other professionals.

What advice or resources would you recommend to colleagues interested in becoming connected?

 

Start small.. try one tool and master it. Don't overwhelm yourself. It took me a few tries to really get into the Twitter community. Now, I'm hooked. For new teachers, the support is out there for you. Join all the communities you can find on Twitter, Facebook, Edmodo. Google, Skype in the Classroom, ISTE communities and so many more. Become a lifelong learner .......... our kids deserve it.




Pamela Rowland is a veteran teacher with 19 years of teaching experience. She is passionate about technology integration and has presented at numerous conferences: KYSTE, KEDC , IFL , KCSS and many other local professional development opportunities. Presentations included: QR Codes, Web 2.0 Tools, Writing 2.0, Digital Portfolios with Technology and Oh, the Places You Can Go With Web 2.0. She served on the Social Studies Standards Writing Committee in 2013 and the Literacy Design Collaborative- Gates Foundation Project in  2012-2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment