Welcome to our blog!

The Fund for Transforming Education in Kentucky (The Fund) inspires and scales innovation and excellence in Kentucky’s public schools, resulting in a better future for all of our children. Here on our blog, we share about our work in a more in depth manner. Blog posts are written by staff members, teachers we work with, board members and others.

The Fund believes in unlocking the unique potential of every student by spreading innovative ideas, shining a spotlight on transforming teacher leadership, and driving sustainable change that will increase academic achievement for all students in Kentucky’s public education system.

Thank you for your consideration and visiting our blog. If you share in our vision of an innovative education culture, we welcome the opportunity to partner with you. Please visit our website at www.thefundky.org for more information.

Barbara Bellissimo
CEO

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Kentucky Connected Educator Month Day 2

Sherri McPherson 

Lafayette High School
Fayette County

In what way(s) are you a connected educator?

 

I am a connected educator because I develop networks, both digitally and in person, that helps me build my knowledge base and bring back what I learn to my classroom, school, and district. I collaborate with other learners through various online platforms, use social media like Twitter to interact with colleagues across the country, and reflect on my practice and profession through my blog, Finding My Teacher Voice.  I am also a participant in the Common Assignment Study where we are creating units of study (with LDC modules embedded within them) in collaboration with colleagues in Kenton County and colleagues in Colorado.  You can learn more about the units from this newsletter.

How does being connected impact your practice?

 

Being connected, I am able to problem solve in real time with a wider net of professionals than those in my immediate physical space. This summer I read an article about 20% time in education. Curious, I tweeted: Dreaming of incorporating 20% time in my classes next year. Looking to connect w/ other teachers. Any tips? . Within minutes, several colleagues shared resources and their own experiences with 20% time. With the support of my online Professional Learning Network (PLN), I have implemented 20% time or genius hour in my writing class this year.


How does being connected impact you as an educator? 


Being connected means I am not isolated. With a few clicks, I have access to support, feedback, and free resources. I am able to easily connect with the best minds in education. These connections give me freedom and control over my professional development. In turn, connectedness and control allow me to devote more time to innovation and creativity which helps me meet the diverse needs of my students.

What advice or resources would you recommend to colleagues interested in becoming connected?

Start small. Pick one platform and devote some time every week to cultivate connections.. Be reflective and willing to reach out to your new network. 




Sherri McPherson is an English/Language Arts teacher with 13 years' experience teaching grades 9-12. She earned a Bachelor's degree in English and Theater and a Master's degree in English Education from the University of Kentucky. This fall, she began her 14th year of teaching at Lafayette High School with the Fayette County Public Schools. She is currently serving as a member of the Gates Foundation's Teacher Advisory Council. With her passion for literacy and students, Sherri is a vocal advocate for the Common Core State Standards, student choice in their learning, and teacher innovation in the classroom. Her leadership positions have included department chair, Literacy Design Collaborative lead teacher, and literacy coach. Last school year she began working toward her National Board Certification. She currently lives in Lexington, Kentucky with her husband of 17 years and their three children. When not teaching, she enjoys spending time with family, gardening, biking, and reading.

2 comments:

  1. Just earlier today while writing a blog about Google in Education, I stumbled up a youtube page where Google is producing a series of hangouts on air to provide tips for connected educators. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIJ5IY6Odc&feature=share) I would highly recommend checking this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recommendation! Thanks, Pianodb.

    ReplyDelete