Welcome to our blog!

The Fund for Transforming Education in Kentucky (The Fund) inspires and scales innovation and excellence in Kentucky’s public schools, resulting in a better future for all of our children. Here on our blog, we share about our work in a more in depth manner. Blog posts are written by staff members, teachers we work with, board members and others.

The Fund believes in unlocking the unique potential of every student by spreading innovative ideas, shining a spotlight on transforming teacher leadership, and driving sustainable change that will increase academic achievement for all students in Kentucky’s public education system.

Thank you for your consideration and visiting our blog. If you share in our vision of an innovative education culture, we welcome the opportunity to partner with you. Please visit our website at www.thefundky.org for more information.

Barbara Bellissimo
CEO

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Kentucky Connected Educator Natalie McCutchen




The 4 Questions

In what ways are you a connected educator?
    I am a connected educator because I seek out ways to connect with other educators.  I look for opportunities to learn with and from others.  These opportunities include conferences, webinars, Google Hangouts, blogging, Twitter chats, and online discussions.  The more I do, the more I want to do.  Being connected is simply contagious and I love finding new ways to connect with others.    

How does being connected impact your practice in schools/classroom?
    Being connected has opened my eyes to all the possibilities that the world of education has to offer.  I have always thought of myself as being innovative in my practice; I have been provided opportunities to learn about new initiatives which has lead me to try new experiences for my students.  Being a connected has allowed me to become even more knowledgeable about cutting edge strategies and initiatives that have dramatically improved my practice.  Being connected has also given me the platform to reach out to other educators who are implementing specific practices in their classes.  Instead of trying to figure everything out on my own, I am able to immediately tap into someone who has already planned, implemented, and reflected on a particular so that my journey is a much smoother transition.

    The biggest impact on my practice is the fact that I am now encouraging students to become more connected.  I am sharing with them the ways that I am connected and providing them opportunities to become more connected.  It is amazing to see their interest and to see how their own connectedness is setting off a chain reaction of more engagement and involvement.  

How does being connected impact you as a professional?
    Being connected has made me realize my worth as a professional.  I know realize that I have something valuable to offer and that I am a crucial element in the educational landscape whether in my district, region, state, and even nationally.  I now have a sense of empowerment through being connected and an insatiable desire to want to do and learn more.  I have grown exponentially as a professional as a result of being more professional.  I am most proud of how I am a better teacher because of my connectedness.  This allows me to be better for my students and help them achieve more in the process.  

What advice or resources would you recommend to colleagues interested in becoming connected?

    The best advice I could give is “Just Do It!!”  Do not wait to be connected, do not worry if you are good enough, do not worry about if you have enough time, or if you will have something valuable to say.  Simply be yourself and let your love and passion for what you do shine through.  Find multiple ways to get connected.  Determine your top two or three interests and find groups, Twitter chats, blogs, initiatives, and opportunities that involve your interests and then dive in!  Stay engaged!  Share your experience and learn from the experiences of others.  The main thing to remember is there no right or wrong way to be connected; you simply have to put yourself out there.  You will be glad you did!!  Now go get connected!!!    

Bio:  My name is Natalie McCutchen and I teach 7th grade Math and Pre-Algebra at Franklin-Simpson Middle School in Simpson County; I am entering my tenth year of teaching.  I obtained my National Board Certification in Early Adolescence Mathematics in 2013.  I am a Hope Street Group Kentucky Teacher Fellow, a NEA Great Public Schools Network online facilitator for 7th Grade Common Core, and a 2014 ASCD Emerging Leader.  I am an advocate for the Common Core standards, promoting teacher voice, elevating the teacher profession, and personalizing the learning for my students through initiatives such as the flipped learning and standards based grading.   

District:  Simpson County

School:  Franklin Simpson Middle School


Subject:  7th Grade Math and Pre-Algebra

No comments:

Post a Comment