Welcome to our blog!

The Fund for Transforming Education in Kentucky (The Fund) inspires and scales innovation and excellence in Kentucky’s public schools, resulting in a better future for all of our children. Here on our blog, we share about our work in a more in depth manner. Blog posts are written by staff members, teachers we work with, board members and others.

The Fund believes in unlocking the unique potential of every student by spreading innovative ideas, shining a spotlight on transforming teacher leadership, and driving sustainable change that will increase academic achievement for all students in Kentucky’s public education system.

Thank you for your consideration and visiting our blog. If you share in our vision of an innovative education culture, we welcome the opportunity to partner with you. Please visit our website at www.thefundky.org for more information.

Barbara Bellissimo
CEO

Monday, October 14, 2013

Kentucky Connected Educator Month Day 14




Jessica Brewer
Mathematics Teacher
Owsley County High School


In what way (s) are you a connected educator?

I feel that I am a connected educator through e-mail and consistent contact with students before, during, and after the school day.  If students ever need anything, they typically email me.  I receive emails daily from several students with questions about assignments and/or their grades.  I also make myself available to students each day during their class periods, my planning period, and sometimes after school when the students request it.  I have a smart phone (iPhone 4) that has my email connected to it, so if and when I receive an email, I am notified and can respond promptly.

How does being connected impact your practice?

Students express their appreciation for my help verbally.  They enjoy a teacher that is always willing to help no matter what the circumstance.  I think students relate to me well as I am constantly trying to learn about their lives and skills.  They talk to me, share things with me, and trust me.  I think this has a positive impact on my practice because students know that they have me for help when they struggle.  I also think that this type of relationship provides us with a mutual respect that allows students to perform well on assessments and activities in class and outside of class.

How does being connected impact you as a professional?

I feel I have a very effective a positive rapport with students.  It allows me to relate to them and improves my professional expertise and persona.  Students feel welcome, comfortable, and willing to be in my presence and perform for me since there is a comfortable relationship between us.  They ask me for help and advice with lots of things besides the actual content that I teach.  Students know they can count on me, and in turn, I can count on them.  This provides an effective atmosphere and relationship within the school building and expands my professionalism to many levels.  Students refer their friends and family to me when they need help, which expands my positive influence on many individuals.

What advice or resources would you recommend to colleagues interested in becoming connected?

I would advise other educational professionals to get to know their students.  I would advise them to have conversations about more than just their content.  I think teachers should strive to always be available for students before, during, and after class.  I also believe that a consistent and positive attitude helps students be drawn to you as a person, which increases the likelihood of them enjoying class, your company, and what you have to provide them, which is a good education.






Jessica Brewer has been teaching mathematics at Owsley County High School for 3 and ½ years of teaching high school mathematics at Owsley County High School.  I work mainly with Algebra II students, but also help facilitate student learning in an iMac lab in the school building.  We use lots of electronic resources such as Blackboard, Carnegie Math Learning, and Hawkes Learning through Morehead State University.  Students also have access to school email accounts that they can use to communicate with teachers.


No comments:

Post a Comment