Welcome to our blog!

The Fund for Transforming Education in Kentucky (The Fund) inspires and scales innovation and excellence in Kentucky’s public schools, resulting in a better future for all of our children. Here on our blog, we share about our work in a more in depth manner. Blog posts are written by staff members, teachers we work with, board members and others.

The Fund believes in unlocking the unique potential of every student by spreading innovative ideas, shining a spotlight on transforming teacher leadership, and driving sustainable change that will increase academic achievement for all students in Kentucky’s public education system.

Thank you for your consideration and visiting our blog. If you share in our vision of an innovative education culture, we welcome the opportunity to partner with you. Please visit our website at www.thefundky.org for more information.

Barbara Bellissimo
CEO

Monday, October 21, 2013

Kentucky Connected Educator Day 21

Helping us launch Digital Citizenship Week & connecting us to higher education....




Gerry Swan
Associate Professor of Instructional Systems Design
Assistant Dean of Program Assessment
Co-Director of Digital Learning Design Lab
University of Kentucky


In what way are you a connected educator?

When I think connected, my first thought is social media. While I do use Facebook (for casual relationships), twitter (for work… sort of) and have a linked in profile, I don't really consider myself a social media champion or aficionado. Given that, I felt a little disingenuous being highlighted here. I went back to Donnie Piercey's definition in the first post, "Connected Educator Month is a celebration of teachers who figured out how the Internet can be their friend in the classroom." After reading that, I thought, "I can make that work." 
 
So here goes…

I use (and build) web based tools to directly connect and impact practices with colleagues whether they be down the hall or across the state. My first job in education was at a boarding school who had recently implemented a 1:1 laptop program as part of a school redesign model they were putting in place. When I first started tinkering with technology, I used to spend a lot of time engrossed with Filemaker Pro. I built digital textbooks, self-checking workbooks, online assignment submission to my grade book and lots of other stuff. I even had an audience response system that I could "push" differentiated questions to the class when conducting guided practice. This was how I internalized and externalized my thoughts about meeting the expectations set out for teachers at the school. It was a mode of professional expression for me and what how I used technology to better "connect" to may practice (i.e. increase fidelity of implementation).

While I started this type of work as a way to manage my own classroom, other teachers started asking me to use the same tools. Soon I was building school wide systems. Now I was helping others connect to their practice and that's where things got interesting. One project I worked on was a curriculum authoring tool that started as a stand alone template used by one person to develop curriculum. One of the things I was tasked with was migrating that to a networked tool that had everyone accessing the same instance to develop together (think of it as a curriculum wiki). I remember sitting in on the history department as they were doing some summer planning using the networked version of the curriculum tool. Some one would yell out, "hey Alan, what do you think about the outcomes for group 3 in unit 2." Alan would take a look and go in and make a few edits and say how does that look?" I was fascinated at how tools could scaffold the work and practice of people while allowing them to better connect with each other.

How does being connected impact your practice & How does being connected impact you as a professional?

I'm going to answer 2 and 3 together as my service and research are both driven by trying to scratch that itch I got 15 years ago when I started teaching. Trying to port those same ideas to people outside of our school was difficult, because Filemaker was a relatively expensive infrastructure to put in place. The Internet and the rise of scripting languages (particularly PHP) really changed the tool development and distribution landscape. Through the OTIS initiative, I look at how do we support better practices through the design and study of tools. I guess I would say connecting stuff is my practice. Sometimes that connection is internal (e.g. letting someone look at data in a new way by creating new connections between data points). Sometimes the connection is external (e.g. helping them better connect with other people through the use of technology).

The expression “Old Wine in New Bottles” is often used to describe a new phenomenon that bears a resemblance to an existing condition. Often the expression is used to convey a message of being underwhelmed--sort of a “been there and done that.” However, new bottles can change the way we interact and use a product. For example, if you wanted a Guinness Draft before the late 90’s, the only way was to go to a bar or restaurant that served it. Around 1996, Guinness introduced their “Draft Can” that allowed people to have the same product experience at home. Most recently, they have created a bottle that preserves the draft condition, but doesn’t require the consumer to pour the beverage in a glass. By evolving the packaging, the company was able to take its existing product and expand the avenues through which it could be consumed. In other words, the “new bottles” quite literally added value to the experience by making the content more accessible. I like to think that I take "Old Wine" like formative assessment, portfolio assessment, organizational learning, etc. and see what happens to those ideas when we put them in new "bottles". When you look at OTIS projects like Open Portfolio, Snapshot (a.k.a. Standards Based Reporting) or the Digital Driver's License, you can see clear connections to ideas grounded in the knowledge base, but with an added wrinkle that changes how those ideas are operationalized. Even Bloom mused how the arrival of the computer would impact the ideas that he, Madaus and Hastings presented in the handbook of formative and summative assessment.

What advice or resources about being connected would you recommend to colleagues?

If you want to unleash your inner McGyver to help "connect" people with their practice and each other, I would definitely read the Cathedral and The Bazaar by Eric Raymond. 
 
As for advice, here are a few**

1. Developing and coding is a long and lonely process. You have to commit to it. You must learn it's discipline. 
 
2. Find a problem and get angry at it…. very angry. You'll need that to sustain your efforts over the long haul. 
 
3. Don't worry if you are scared. Harness it and fear will will help you move faster than you thought possible.
 
4. Don't forget to read research and scholarship. There is a wealth of knowledge out there. Use it. Stand on the shoulders of giants.

**Most of these are really excuses to include YouTube clips I like.
 
 
 
 
Dr. Gerry Swan received his Ph.D. in Instructional Technology from the University of Virginia in 2004 and joined the college in 2007. He is an associate professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction and his research interests include use of interactive media with instruction and computer-managed instruction and research. Through the OTIS initiative Gerry has developed tools that translate research based ideas into practice. Each year tens of thousands of students and instructors from kindergarten to college use OTIS tools. As the Assistant Dean for Program Assessment, Gerry helps build systems and processes that manage the collection, storage and sharing of the huge amounts of data required for meeting accreditation requirements  and generating feedback to students, faculty and programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment