Welcome to our blog!

The Fund for Transforming Education in Kentucky (The Fund) inspires and scales innovation and excellence in Kentucky’s public schools, resulting in a better future for all of our children. Here on our blog, we share about our work in a more in depth manner. Blog posts are written by staff members, teachers we work with, board members and others.

The Fund believes in unlocking the unique potential of every student by spreading innovative ideas, shining a spotlight on transforming teacher leadership, and driving sustainable change that will increase academic achievement for all students in Kentucky’s public education system.

Thank you for your consideration and visiting our blog. If you share in our vision of an innovative education culture, we welcome the opportunity to partner with you. Please visit our website at www.thefundky.org for more information.

Barbara Bellissimo
CEO

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Kentucky Connected Educator Day 19

Thom Coffee
Instructional Supervisor
Eminence Independent Schools



In what way(s) are you a connected educator?

I regularly use multiple forms of technology to connect with educators and thinkers both across the country and internationally.  I often collaborate with educators and leaders via Google Hangout, Skype and FaceTime.  I use Twitter to connect with educators, authors, leaders and thinkers around the world.  I frequently participate in Twitter chats as a way to converse with and connect with educators who have similar interests and passions.  Additionally, I stay connected with educators around the world by reading the blogs of my favorite education thinkers.


How does being connected impact your practice?

Technology has allowed me to widen my network.  No longer are we limited by geography.  I have been able to converse and collaborate with people that I otherwise would not have been able to.
Additionally, we have used technology to connect with folks around the country for professional development and collaboration.  I have been able to bring in educators who I have met and connected with through social media to collaborate with our staff in Eminence.  Connecting with others through technology has allowed us to expand our teaching candidate pool as well.  We advertise openings on social networks, and I have conducted several interviews over the past few years with candidates in other areas of the country who would normally not be able to come in for an interview.  Perhaps the biggest impact has been in the wealth of information out there that has challenged my thinking and made me question everything about the practice of teaching.


How does being connected impact you as a professional?

Profoundly.  I have been able to connect with individuals who, like me, see the need to push the boundaries of public education.  I firmly believe schools need to be reinvented to meet the needs of the 21st century learner.  Being able to connect with people who are leading the way in other districts, states and countries has been an invaluable resource as we innovate in Eminence, Kentucky.  I more connected to those at universities pushing the boundaries of our thoughts and those in the districts and schools that are carrying out innovative ideas.  It is certainly reassuring to know that others are actively pursuing creating a different education for kids.  At the same time, it is valuable to bounce ideas off of people that will lend a critical ear and provide feedback. Sure, we can accomplish all of that with technology to connect us, but technology has been an accelerant to the fire in my work in Eminence.



What advice or resources would you recommend to colleagues interested in becoming connected?

Getting started can seem difficult or be intimidating at first.  There is such a wide variety of tools out there and a great number of people to connect to.  My biggest piece of advice is to start somewhere. When I hear people say they don’t have time to be on Twitter or to Skype/GoogleHangout etc., I have to laugh a little.  Were there people who said, “I don’t have time to us a telephone, so I’ll stick with the pony express?"  Start by forming a small network using one tool that you really like.  Lurk for a while and test out the water.  Talk to connected friends and find a blog or two that you find informative.  Set up an RSS feed and soon you will have a wealth of news geared to your interests waiting for you every morning.









BIO:  Mr. Thom Coffee serves as the Instructional Supervisor and an E-magineer for Eminence Independent Schools in Eminence, KY where he has helped to launch the School on F.I.R.E. (Framework of Innovation for Reinventing Education).  The model was recognized as one of the country’s most innovative ideas, winning the Peak Award from KSBA and the Magna Award at the National School Board Conference in April 2013.  Prior to joining the team in Eminence Coffee was an award-winning teacher in Shelby County Public Schools and a Highly Skilled Educator with the Kentucky Department of Education.
Twitter: @thomcoffee  #schoolonfire
Blog: www.schoolonfire.com
Google Plus: Thom Coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment